Stratford BID on the panel at the London Living Wage Event
On Tuesday 21st March 2023, we had the chance to speak on the panel at the London Living Wage Event, explaining our journey to becoming a Living Wage Employer.
We are proud to be an accredited Living Wage business and it is more important than ever in these current times. We encourage all other businesses to take their first steps on the path to being accredited as a Living Wage Employer.
For almost 20 years, the Living Wage movement has been encouraging employers across the UK to do the right thing and pay staff a wage they can live on.
Recent increases to the government’s minimum wage have been a step in the right direction, but there are still millions of people struggling to keep their heads above water, dragged down by rising living costs. That’s why we need major employers like local authorities to lead by example and pay a Living Wage that covers the cost of living.
What is the real living wage?
The real Living Wage is an hourly rate of pay set independently and updated annually. It is calculated according to the basic cost of living in the UK, and employers choose to pay it on a voluntary basis.
Why become a Living Wage Employer?
- Public commitment to fair pay
- Certified by the Living Wage Foundation
- Annual pay increases linked to the cost of living
Benefits of becoming a Living Wage Employer:
- Happier staff
- Better retention
- Improved culture and staff well-being
- Better business
All Living Wage employers:
- Appear on The Living Wage Foundation's website and searchable map so that consumers, prospective employees, students and funders can easily see who pays a real Living Wage that meets the cost of living.
- Can access guidance on implementing the Living Wage through procurement, including templates, clauses and case studies.
- Have the opportunity to work with us on press coverage to promote their commitment to a real Living Wage.
- Get the right to use the Living Wage Employer Mark.
- Receive a Living Wage Employer plaque.
- Receive a Living Wage Week pack with materials and guidance on how to be part of the national celebrations.
- Are kept up to date through our regular newsletter which has the latest developments on the Living Wage campaign, as well as news about the rate.
- Can get Living Wage merchandise including tote bags, pens and badges.