Women's Night Safety Charter
Londoners have asked the Night Czar to prioritise women's safety. That's why the Mayor has created this charter: to make London a city where all women feel confident and welcome at night. The charter is part of the Mayor’s Tackling Violence Against Women and Girls Strategy and London’s commitment to the UN Women Safe Cities and Safe Public Spaces global initiative.
To support the Women's Night Safety Charter, they ask all organisations that operate at night to sign-up to some simple pledges:
- Nominate a champion in your organisation who actively promotes women’s night safety
- Demonstrate to staff and customers that your organisation takes women’s safety at night seriously, for example through a communications campaign
- Remind customers and staff that London is safe, but tell them what to do if they experience harassment when working, going out or travelling
- Encourage reporting by victims and bystanders as part of your communications campaign
- Train staff to ensure that all women who report are believed
- Train staff to ensure that all reports are recorded and responded to
- Design your public spaces and work places to make them safer for women at night
Here you will find the toolkit which helps organisations meet the 7 principles of the charter.
The Charter was launched in 2018 and is part of the Mayor’s Tackling Violence Against Women and Girls Strategy and London’s commitment to the UN Women Safe Cities and Safe Public Spaces global initiative. The Charter has already attracted hundreds of signatories from businesses operating across London, ranging from pubs and clubs to local authorities and the police. Safer Business Network has just been commissioned by the GLA and MOPAC to carry out a scoping exercise to identify opportunities to grow the support base for the Charter and attract new signatories from a variety of stakeholder groups, including licensed premises, transport, organisations managing the public realm, and other schemes and initiatives.
If you haven't yet, consider signing the charter today!